Monday, November 24, 2014

How all I call my Sid!

Each parent has this cute way of calling their kids with weird names. When I used to hear my sister calling her son with a variety of trademarked funny names, I used to wonder if motherhood has taken its toll on my sister! Obviously, I was not a mom then. And, now I know how much love lies in all those stupid names. 

I too call Sid with different names (it's in the genes, I guess). Shornakatta, muttukatta, muttumani, etc are quite common among all of us malayalees. But some of Sid's names are really funny. Taking a note of all such names for future reference. Each time I call him with a new name, I see a delight in Sid's face. And not-to-mention a sly smile. However, I am sure he is going to melt down with embarrassment when he grows up and reads all this. ;)

Kunji vava / Kunjoos - This is what I started with since we didn't decide his name for first three weeks of his life.
Unnikuttan / Unni - His nick name. The most usual one as of now. Why I chose this is because "unni" was my dad's nick name. :) And unnikuttan, my cousin, was the first kid I ever looked after. I now call him senior unnikuttan. 
Tungloosh/ Tungloosh mani - No idea where I got it from. I was sooo hooked on to calling this name. And though Sid was too small at that time, he knew this word is coming from me and me only.
Kroosh / Unnikroosh - This one came from his dad. Again, don't remember how he got it.
Popcorn - This one too from dad, when he became a toddler. This was to signify the similarity between my son and a popcorn popping out of the vessel. 
Tishku / Tushki - Again, I have no idea where I got it from. I know it sounds too funny.
Tikku / Tukki - Just a babyish version of the previous one. But this one also lasted a while.
Pori / Poriyan / Porikuttan - Courtesy: Dad. Dad soon changed from popcorn to pori. Pori is actually the puffed rice translation in Malayalam. This name came soon after he started more than just popping but moving all around. "Porichil" in Malayalam, you know.
Chakkudu / Kukkudu - Chakkudu is a common name for pampering. But kukkudu, :) well. I once read him a story from one of his baby magazines - Kukkudu autorikshaw. So I actually started calling him "kukkudu autorickshaw".

I am sure Sid is going to be nomenclatured a lot more. Will surely update this list as time passes... :)

Addition: 3/3/2015: 
Unnanu/unnani - Named by Vallyamma (my elder sister). Whole story about this name here. Simply love the way she calls it.

No comments:

Post a Comment